Re: Buffer-local faces

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Buffer-local faces
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 08:45:21 +0300

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> Actually, this doesn't work currently (not sure why), but I thought a nice
> use would be something like (region region bold) -- which would _extend_ the
> region face to also boldify stuff, as opposed to (region bold) which would
> _replace_ the region face.  Allowing this source of `mixin' face would be
> very handy for users I think.

Then subtracting face attributes would be useful too.  For example,
using the `-' symbol before the face name could remove its attributes
from the composed face, e.g. using (region region - bold) to remove
all attributes of the `bold' face whose values are equal to attribute
values of the `region' face.  This may complicate things, but this
is no less useful than merging faces.

And using (setq face-remapping-alist '((default - bold))) could remove
the `bold' attributes from all faces.  I don't know if this can be
easily added to your current patch since it requires iterating over
all faces and removing attributes from faces inheriting from the face
in key position of every element of `face-remapping-alist'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/