Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).
Date: 04 May 2004 16:37:25 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> > I think that 21.4 has been mentioned frequently as probably another
> > bug fix release, and 21.5 is "half-way" to 22.0.
>
> Huh?  I think it's been much more mentioned as "the next big thing".
> As in "will only be included in 21.4".

That was once.  And then there was a time where it was "21.4 will
likely be another bug fix release".

There was once talk to have another RC_1 branch release, before we
decided to bite the bullet and go directly for a trunk release next.

> And all the code currently refersw to 21.4.
>
> So I suggest we don't change anything for now (i.e. aim for 21.4).
> If something bad happens we can always release a 21.4 bugfix and go through
> the CVS code to fix the refs from 21.4 to 21.5.

The problem is that I saw quite a few announcements of the "will be
fixed/available in 21.4 or 21.5" by now.  Since talk was made about
another RC_1 release, people have amended the lines that once talked
about the feature being in 21.2, 21.3 and 21.4 in succession.

And if indeed people expect 21.4 to be the next great thing,
releasing as 21.5 will do no harm.