Re: Buffer-local faces

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Buffer-local faces
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 16:07:48 -0400

    A related questions is whether the remapping should be visible to lisp code
    using face functions.  For instance, does (face-attribute 'default :family)
    1. return the remapped family, or 2. return the family of the `underlying'
    default face?

I think that functions that operate on face names should return the
information about the underlying face, not remapped.  If it is useful,
we could add new functions to get information about a character's
appearance, and they would follow the remapping.