Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).
Date: 05 May 2004 01:49:12 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > I think we may as well skip making another release from RC.  The
> > > question is whether we should call the next release 21.4 or 22.0.
> > >
> > > There has been so much change that maybe the next release should be
> > > 22.0.
> >
> > So in order to avoid version overkill, I think that we would stay at
> > 21.x as long as we have "merely" extensive, but not fundamental
> > changes.
>
> Well, there are SOME fundamental changes from 21.3 to "this" release:
>
> ** Leim is now part of the Emacs distribution.

A difference in packaging is not fundamental.

> ** The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual is now part of the distribution.

A difference in packaging is not fundamental.

> ** The max size of buffers and integers has been doubled.

This is just a minor detail for the user.

> ** GTK support

Probably more relevant.  Also image support has been extended to Mac
and Windows, but I consider this more a bugfix than a feature
enhancement: image support never was intended to be X-only.  It was
just a tolerated shortcoming in order to get something out.

> Besides, a lot of external lisp packages are now included with emacs
> (tramp, ses, cua, ...)

A difference in packaging...  but I repeat myself.  It is convenient,
but not fundamental.

> But I don't really case if we call this 21.4, 21.5, or 22.0 -- as
> long as we release something in 2004 !!

Yes.