Re: dired alignment

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: dired alignment
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 16:20:58 -0400

    >     C .emacs.test2 RET
    >
    > and all spaces are collapsed to just-one-space (cf. attachment).  Press
    > `g' and proper re-alignemnt will happen.

    That's a side effect of recent changes in coreutils.  Columns in the
    output of ls are now expanded only to the extend needed to keep the whole
    output aligned, so when listing only one file the whitespace between
    columns will be minimal.

This is not good.  Should I ask the coreutils developer to change this?
Should Emacs try to align the indentation as it comes in?