Re: compilation-highlight-duration

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: compilation-highlight-duration
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 12:23:43 +0300

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

>>     Your question is understandable in case of `next-error' where cursor
>>     lands directly on the subject line.  The suggested user control is
>>     useful in case of `next-error-no-select' which is used in Grep mode.
>>
>> Could you explain why and how you use next-error-no-select in Grep
>> mode?  I would have thought that is something useful only for programs
>> to call.  I don't see a use for next-error-no-select has, except as a
>> subroutine to build other things on.
>
> next-error-no-select is a command, not a subroutine.
>
> It is useful in grep-mode as a way to browse the grep matches (using n
> and p keys) without leaving the *grep* buffer until you actually find
> some interesting match.

I think that highlighting is useful *only* in grep-mode, when
the cursor is not displayed in non-selected source window
(i.e. cursor-in-non-selected-windows is nil).  And highlighting
is pretty useless in `next-error' which selects a source window,
because in this case the location is indicated by the cursor.

But currently it's not possible to highlight the source buffer
only in `next-error-no-select'.  Perhaps a new argument should be
added to `next-error' and `compilation-next-error-function' indicating
whether highlighting is desirable and in what fashion (overlay flashing
delay duration, fringe arrow, etc.)

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/