Re: compilation-highlight-duration

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: compilation-highlight-duration
Date: 06 May 2004 12:22:58 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> The purpose of the feature freeze is not to release half-baked
> stuff.  If we introduce this variable in 21.4, then it should remain
> with upwards-compatible semantics also in future versions.  If we
> find that this feature is likely to be replaced by something
> different in future versions, we should leave it out completely for
> now.
>
> There is no point in introducing a feature that will only exist for a
> single release.

My point is that the highlight is there now; some people don't like it,
some people want a different duration -- we can achieve that easily
with a new variable to tune the existing feature.

I don't think the existing feature shall go away in future releases,
but we may add different methods of highlighting, e.g. a new
compilation-highlight-method variable, and we may add extended
values for -duration (such as sticky overlay or whatever).

Also the underlaying implementation may change.

But in every case, the -duration variable in the proposed form will be
(I believe) upwards compatible with such future extensions.
Otherwise, I would not have suggested it.