Re: Feature freeze and Tramp?

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Feature freeze and Tramp?
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 15:35:26 +0000 (UTC)

   Visit a file using the /ssh:address@hidden:FILENAME syntax.  When the file
   is displayed, close your connection.  Obviously, now tramp is not
   going to be able to function normally anymore.  But what happens is
   that Emacs now appears to freeze.

I cannot repeat this using
Today's CVS snapshot, Sun, 2004 May  9  12:17 UTC
GNU Emacs 21.3.50.23 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.2.4)
from which I am sending this message.

I just visited a remote file on a system *not* running GNU/Linux.
`uname -a' says it is running
    SunOS  5.9 Generic_112233-01 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2

After visiting the remote file, by evaluating the following

    (find-file
     "/ssh:address@hidden:/home/bob/www/notions/notions.html"
     nil)

I killed my dial up connection, and reconnected (with lots of trouble,
because my local phone line has gone bad again).  I am able to make
changes to the remote file and save them.  Other tha being much slower
than ange-ftp, Tramp with SSH seems to work fine.

    As I slowly update it,                     address@hidden
        I rewrite a "What's New" segment for   http://www.rattlesnake.com