Gnus for next release

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Gnus for next release
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 19:07:20 -0400

I've been talking with the Gnus developers, and it comes up that it would
probably be a good idea to put the current stable release of Gnus into the
next Emacs release.

Here's what one Gnus maintainer says (just to clarify the version numbering,
Gnus 5.10.x is the branch being suggested for inclusion, but it would be
renamed 5.11 when added to the Emacs tree):

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> wrote:
> It's even more than one year since the release of Gnus 5.10.1
> (2003-05-01).  After that, only bugfixes went into 5.10.[1-6].  Since
> the release of 5.10.6 (2004-01-04) there was only single commit to the
> v5-10 branch.  (Some post-5.10.6 doc-fixes could be merged from the
> trunk to v5-10).
>
> I also expect that merging Gnus v5-10 into the Emacs trunk won't lead
> to significant problems (or even to a delay of Emacs release).
> Looking at the "User-Agent" headers, you'll notice that many people
> already use Gnus v5.10.6 (or No Gnus) with Emacs 21.3.50.
>
> It would be a pity if Gnus 5.11 would not be included in the next
> Emacs release because it has many improvements over 5.9.

So what about it?  Sounds pretty good and safe to me (and Gnus is largely a
standalone part of emacs).

-Miles
--
=====