Re: gdbui hang

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: gdbui hang
Date: 10 May 2004 08:22:58 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Sometimes (well, actually fairly often) the new fancy gdb mode hangs in
> a way that can't be interrupted, e.g.:

>    Program exited normally.
>    (gdb) break poc_startup
>    Function "poc_startup" not defined.
>    Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n]) n
>
>      C-c C-c  C-c C-c  C-c C-c  C-c C-c  C-c C-c  C-c C-c  C-c C-c
>
> I'm not sure what other info is useful to debug this.

I have seen similar problems if I set a breakpoints at some location
(using C-x SPC) while the program is running; then I go to the gud
buffer and type C-c C-z to stop the process.

This seems to work, but sometimes it's like gud and gdb are no longer
in sync.  If I try to delete the breakpoint (e.g. d 4) it gets worse.
If I then continue the program, c, I can no longer interrupt it with
C-c C-z.

Maybe you need to set two breakpoints at the same location (do C-x SPC
twice) to see this.

Sorry that I cannot be more precise.

> [A related problem is that if I kill the *gud-foo* buffer to try and
> recover from the hang, and then start another gdb process, it will often
> fail to work, saying `selecting deleted buffer' in a command I give.  In
> general it's a good idea to recover gracefully if a buffer is deleted;
> the gdb mode probably shouldn't be keeping any session state outside of
> the gdb buffer itself -- i.e., try to make any state variables
> buffer-local in the gdb session buffer.]

I've seen this too -- to me it looks like there is a process filter still
running somewhere which tries to use a deleted buffer...