Re: with-output-to-temp-buffer [Re: reverting CJK input methods]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: with-output-to-temp-buffer [Re: reverting CJK input methods]
Date: 10 May 2004 10:28:24 -0400

>> However, consider the case of a Customize buffer.  That has lots of
>> read-only text, the idea being that the user should not be able to
>> edit it.

The read-only properties are present only to delimit the fields so people
only edit the text where Custom knows what to do with the edits.
If the user wants to empty the buffer, there's no point preventing him from
doing that, I think.

>> Should erase-buffer in a Customize buffer leave it empty?

Yes.

>> The result would be an undesirable confusion.

In what way could it be confusing?

>> We could respond to that by saying, "So don't do erase-buffer in
>> a Customize buffer."  Maybe that's right, but I am not sure.
> I think "So don't do ..." is sufficient.

Agreed.

> But I still believe it is better to change erase-buffer
> itself (perhaps it should delete all overlays too).

Agreed.

> Let's discuss it after the next release.

Oh well!

        Stefan