Re: with-output-to-temp-buffer [Re: reverting CJK input methods]

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: with-output-to-temp-buffer [Re: reverting CJK input methods]
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 20:45:23 -0500 (CDT)

Ken'ichi HANDA wrote:

   But I still believe it is better to change erase-buffer
   itself (perhaps it should delete all overlays too).  Let's
   discuss it after the next release.

I do not understand why we should wait till after the next release to
make a decision on this issue.  If we do not change `erase-buffer',
then I suspect that we will have to bind inhibit-read-only to t around
several calls to erase-buffer.  When we would decide after the release to
change erase-buffer, then not only would we have done all that work
for nothing, but we even would have to do the additional work of
undoing all these changes.

Why can a _final_ decision not be made right now?  We are talking about
the best way to deal with existing bugs, not about a new feature, so
the feature freeze is irrelevant.

Sincerely,

Luc.