Re: new *Help* argument highlighting

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: new *Help* argument highlighting
Date: 10 May 2004 22:30:40 -0400

>> As I said, I haven't seen a single complaint about the font-size change
>> in Info-mode in Emacs-21.
> Perhaps you haven't seen complaints about font sizes in Info-mode,
> because users who don't like that, has silently changed sizes
> in their .emacs files :-)

Of course.  I don't expect that everybody liked it.  But if they don't
whine, they get what they deserve.  When I compare that to the reaction
w.r.t colors, I conclude that "font-size changes are pretty safe".

>> With the 6x13 font I use, "m" in bold looks basically like a solid block,
>> but I've never found it to be unreadable because it still looks clearly
>> different from all others (including "w").
>> Is your situation similar except that the solid block does bother you
>> (maybe because you sight is not as good as mine)?

> This is clearly my situation with my 6x10 font, where the text
> displayed in this font is hardly readable.

I've often heard comments about my 6x13 font being pretty small already, so
I don't expect too many people to use a 6x10 font.  And those people should
expect to have to fiddle with things to get good results.  So I don't think
it's a class of users we should worry too much about.
The case of Robert's 10x20 font is different since it should be a "pretty
safe size" and the user probably expects things to be readable without
much fiddling.

> I tried this patch a month ago, but it often causes crashes.  So without
> hope to get this patch working without crashes, I solved this particular
> problem with a small piece of code in .emacs:

An elisp approach is indeed much safer.  If it's good enough, maybe we
should try such an approach (we could make it much cleaner than your code
by hooking directly in face-spec-set or face-spec-choose).

        Stefan