Re: request for review: Doing direct file I/O in Emacs Lisp

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: request for review: Doing direct file I/O in Emacs Lisp
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 02:23:03 -0700

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> I had posted a proposal to change start-process instead some time
> ago that would have allowed for efficient I/O redirection under
> eshell.  Have you seen that proposal?  That would be, IMO, a much
> more Emacsy solution.  The above looks like being quite ugly low
> level.

I would be interested in seeing it, though it would not help the
output redirection case (since Eshell's "cat" is in Lisp).  And
actually, I don't get bitten by the speed of piping in Eshell --
though maybe I just didn't notice how slow it was.

As for the comments from others: thank you, I will be reading through
them in more detail soon.

John