Re: dired alignment

From: Peter Whaite
Subject: Re: dired alignment
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:49:58 -0400

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Do you mean, using --dired should force the old-style alignment?
> That might be a good partial solution.

It was more a coreutils than an emacs comment.  It looks like the `ls`
alignment changes were intended to make life easier for interactive
users on a terminal console.  However those changes shouldn't have
affected --dired output which is in effect a protocol to communicate
with emacs dired mode.

> However, we will still have problems with non-GNU versions of ls,
> so we might want to make Dired fix the alignment when it doesn't
> use --dired.

That's another problem, though perhaps dired.el should always work with
'ls -l --dired' output, and that for non-GNU versions of ls, a layer of
elisp filters be added to convert to produce the dired output.

I hasten to add that I know very little about how dired actually works.

--
Peter Whaite (http://whaite.ca)