Re: Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 19:08:47 -0500 (CDT)

Kim Storm wrote:

   Does this indicate that with global-autorevert-mode on, there is a
   higher probability that tramp (or other things activated through a
   timer handler) will be called recusively?

I do not see why global-auto-revert-mode should increase the
probability of Tramp being recalled recursively.  It certainly
guarantees that Tramp will be called very often.
global-auto-revert-mode runs by default every five seconds and
invoking Tramp on a slow connection (like mine) can easily take more
than five seconds.  I believe that I will put in a user option
allowing to disable reverting of remote files by
global-auto-revert-mode.  If one has a slow connection, it just causes
too much trouble, regardless of whether it is responsible for this
crash.

   What is the value of Vtimer_list and Vtimer_idle_list?

   (gdb) p Vtimer_list
   (gdb) pr
   (gdb) p Vtimer_idle_list
   (gdb) pr

(gdb) p Vtimer_list
$8 = -1466641304
(gdb) pr
([])
(gdb) p Vtimer_idle_list
$9 = 675044336
(gdb) pr
nil

That does not seem right.  Could this data have been corrupted?  Maybe
I am misunderstanding this.  Several timers and idle-timers should
have been active.

Sincerely,

Luc.