Re: Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 21:53:01 -0500 (CDT)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   Let's first try to *fix* bugs.  Hiding them should be left for
   a last-resort when all else fails.

OK, I will wait and _not_ commit the patch I proposed right now.  But
I still wonder how it can possibly make sense to carry out every five
seconds an operation that usually takes longer than five seconds.
Probably the crash can be fixed, but the crash is not the only bug.
There are freezes.  `with-local-quit' does not really help.  Things
refreeze 0-5 seconds later.  I just come to have a relatively
prolonged period where I not only could not use Emacs any more, I had
a hard time to do C-x C-c and then press `y' quickly enough to kill
Emacs.  My patch is motivated by these freezes.  It is _not_ intended
to "hide" crashes.

I believe there should at least be an option to disable auto-reverting
of remote files.  I also believe disabling should be the default,
although that might be less clear.

Sincerely,

Luc.