Re: Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 22:29:53 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> What should Tramp do with [reentrant] calls?
>
> Work properly if they are on a different connection.

Okay, that can be made to work.

> Queue them if they are on the same connection.  You don't need an
> explicit queue for that, you can just sleep with
> accept-process-output and get woken up at a time when there might
> nothing else be pending anymore.  I don't think a timer gets rerun
> while it is sleeping on that.

So user does C-x C-f on a large file using an inline method.  Tramp
starts to transfer the base64 data across the wire...  And then the
timer kicks in.  Tramp notices it is already busy in that buffer, so
the timer waits... and waits... and waits...  It could be quite a
while until the large file is transferred.

(I don't see how accept-process-output can wake me up when there is
no output, btw.  But, as everybody else here, I'm too stupid to see
the consequences :-)  However, the difference is that you seem to
have an idea how to solve it, and I don't.)

Kai