Re: Fix to long-standing crashes in GC

From: Robert Marshall
Subject: Re: Fix to long-standing crashes in GC
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 05:39:44 +0100

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Lars Hansen wrote:

> For a long time I have experienced occasional crashes of CVS Emacs,
> usually during Tramp operations. I have four backtraces in case
> someone is interested, but I have not been able produce a test
> case. To me it looks as if GC is involved, but I am unexperienced
> with gdb. When Kim told he had fixed a bug involving GC and process
> output, it seemed at first very likely to be the cause of my
> troubles. However:
>
> 1. In one of the crashes Tramp was not involved.
> 2. CVS Emacs of today with Kim's fix, just crashed during a Tramp
>    operation.
>
> So now I don't know what to think.
> Here is a backtrace from todays crash:
>
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /home/lh/cvsroot/emacs/src/emacs
>
> Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
> 0x402ec781 in kill () from /lib/libc.so.6
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x402ec781 in kill () from /lib/libc.so.6
> #1  0x080dfe0a in abort () at emacs.c:433
> #2  0x08128037 in mark_object (arg=1217041176) at alloc.c:5034
> #3  0x0812809a in mark_object (arg=-1463681024) at alloc.c:5051
> #4  0x08126b43 in mark_memory (start=0xbfffe070, end=0xbffff7e8)
>     at alloc.c:3700
> #5 0x08126f73 in mark_stack () at alloc.c:4055 6 0x08127549 in
> #Fgarbage_collect () at alloc.c:4429 7 0x081627f5 in Fbyte_code

I'm still getting what looks like this error with an old test case and the
latest cvs

C-x C-f /su:address@hidden:/var/log/dansguardian/Access.log

it appears to be sensitive to the length of that file, it needs to be
somewhere around (at least for this machine!) 1.6M - it's currently
1684352

Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau