Re: Feature freeze and Tramp?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Feature freeze and Tramp?
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 18:36:46 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>
>    Really?  Below, you say that `unset HISTFILE' works...  Note that the
>    spot we're talking about here is in the correct shell already.
>
> Remember that one apparently has to _export_ HISTFILE at that spot.
>
> `unset HISTFILE' works in the shell in which you execute it, but if
> you start a subshell, the subshell will re-initialize HISTFILE to its
> default value.  If you do `HISTFILE= ; export HISTFILE', the subshell
> will not re-initialize HISTFILE, which will remain null.  At least all of
> this is the case for bash, including when invoked as sh or `bash --posix'.
> Solaris2.8' sh does not seem to keep history at all.

The function tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell is run
after the correct shell has been entered on the remote end, whereas
tramp-actions-before-shell is executed earlier, before the "right"
shell has been started.

Therefore, "unset HISTFILE" may fail from tramp-actions-before-shell,
but I expect it to succeed from
tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell.

Of course, I think that you observed it to fail from
tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell, so I must be missing
something somewhere :-|

Kai