Re: Function vectors: +funvec-20030516-0-c.patch

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Function vectors: +funvec-20030516-0-c.patch
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 20:30:32 -0400

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 08:14:51PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> It adds yet-anoter-form-of-function.  I.e. it makes function calls yet
> a tiny bit slower, forces placed that look inside functions (like
> describe-function) to deal with yet-another-case, ...

Well, as I said, the cost is `negligible' -- it's essentially another EQ
test, a branch, and some adds, in a non-fast-path location.  It shares 99% of
its code with normal curry.

Probably the biggest cost is actually the docstring.

> From what I can tell, rcurry will simply never be used.

Er, I just said that I'd used it in the past; don't you believe me?

It's good to think about cost/benefit tradeoffs, but there's a point at
which it can become silly.

-Miles
--
`The suburb is an obsolete and contradictory form of human settlement'