Re: Feature freeze and Tramp?

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Feature freeze and Tramp?
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 19:50:57 -0500 (CDT)

Kai Grossjohann wrote:

   Please submit a Tramp bug report, including the *debug tramp/foo*
   buffer as described in the instructions you get after M-x tramp-bug
   RET.  Maybe that enables me to see what is going on.

I could submit a bug report if really necessary.  However, I now
looked somewhat closer at the Tramp code and now the reason why you
need to export on Solaris and not on GNU/Linux seems obvious.
Solaris' sh can not handle ~, sh on GNU/Linux, that is, bash run as sh,
can handle ~.  Tramp still runs tramp-post-connection _after_ running
tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell.

The result of all of this is that on Solaris you get (excerpts of the
Tramp debug buffer with my own comments):
address@hidden $ exec env 'ENV=' 'PS1=$ ' /bin/sh
# Waiting 30s for remote `/bin/sh' to come up...
$ # Waiting 30s for `HISTFILE= ; export HISTFILE'
$ HISTFILE= ; export HISTFILE
(But the `export' is just something I put in my private Tramp.  The above
works on Solaris and on GNU/Linux.  I can not check on other operating
systems.)
tramp_executable /bin/bash
# Starting remote shell `/bin/bash -norc -noprofile' for tilde
expansion...
(This is why you _need_ the `export'.  Otherwise this shell writes to
.bashhistory.  Hundreds of lines.)

On the other hand, on GNU/Linux we get instead:

# Remote `/bin/sh' groks tilde expansion, good

Hence, no `export' needed on GNU/Linux.

Sincerely,

Luc.