Re: USE_LSB_TAG and MS-DOS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: USE_LSB_TAG and MS-DOS
Date: 17 May 2004 08:10:25 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: 16 May 2004 19:40:23 -0400
>
> Can you compile with ENABLE_CHECKING and try again?
> And give me a backtrace?

Will try to do that soon.

By ``backtrace'' you meant a C-level backtrace inside GDB, yes?

> After all, all we need is to make sure pointers are multiples of 8.
> GNU malloc guarantees that AFAIK for malloced objects and DECL_ALIGN allows
> to get the same guarantee for static objects, so if we have both the only
> reasonf ro USE_LSB_TAG to fail is a bug, right?

Perhaps so, but, being unsure I know enough about the alignment
issues, I bother.  For example, is stack alignment an issue?  And what
about the default alignment used by GCC for code and data?  I also
need to check whether the __attribute__((__align__)) thingy is
supported and does TRT in the DJGPP (a.k.a. MS-DOS) port of GCC.

There was also talk about using memalign.  I didn't follow that thread
closely, so I don't remember: is that relevant in any way to the case
in point?