Re: how to debug an emacs hang?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: how to debug an emacs hang?
Date: 19 May 2004 09:08:50 +0200

> Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 20:03:46 -0400
> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
>
> On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 04:38:08PM -0700, John Owens wrote:
> > I'd like to figure out how/where it's hanging, but I don't know how I
> > might do so. Suggestions?
>
> Run emacs in gdb, preferably from the src directory where you compiled emacs:
>
>    $ cd ~/emacs-build/src
>    $ gdb ./emacs
>
> [There's a special .gdbinit file in that directory that defines handy emacs
> debugging commands.]

The OP runs the Windows port, so this advice will probably not help.
(John, is that an MSVC build or a MinGW build?  "M-x emacs-version
RET" should tell you.)

The file etc/DEBUG has near its end some hints about debugging Emacs
on MS-Windows; I suggest that John reads that.  The text there doesn't
say how to interrupt Emacs (the equivalent of C-z on Posix platforms),
so perhaps someone here who knows how to do that could help you.