Re: Info-index fails on node-name "~/.cvsrc"

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Info-index fails on node-name "~/.cvsrc"
Date: 19 May 2004 12:04:37 -0400

>     But note that the entries it generated have a valid format, so we better
>     accept it.

> Is that trailing "5." really a valid format?  Not in my mind.

> It would probably be trivial to change it to generate "(line  5)" instead
> of "5.".  No harm in that, regardless of the deprecation, which I agree
> with.

AFAIK, index nodes are just normal nodes with a big menu.
Thus index entries have the same format as menu entries:

     * NAME: LOCATION.  DESCRIPTION

It's just that traditionally index nodes use an empty DESCRIPTION
and align all the LOCATIONs so it looks like

     * NAME1:                     LOCATION1.
     * NAME2:                     LOCATION2.

Adding a DESCRIPTION of the form "5." is just as valid as "(line 5)".
Now if the node has a new special index-tag (can't remember what it looks
like), maybe things are different, but with old-style index nodes, it looks
perfectly valid to me.

        Stefan