Re: default-text-properties

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: default-text-properties
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 22:12:27 -0500 (CDT)

Maybe yet another problem with default-text-properties, illustrated
with the following ielm run:

*** Welcome to IELM ***  Type (describe-mode) for help.
ELISP> (set-buffer "*scratch*")
#<buffer *scratch*>
ELISP> (setq default-text-properties '(foo 69))
(foo 69)

ELISP> (setq char-property-alias-alist '((foo bar)))
((foo bar))

ELISP> (get-text-property (point-max) 'foo)
69
ELISP>

This contradicts the last line of get-text-property's docstring:

    get-text-property is a built-in function in `C source code'.
    (get-text-property position prop &optional object)

    Return the value of position's property prop, in object.
    object is optional and defaults to the current buffer.
    If position is at the end of object, the value is nil.

I suspect again that this is a bug.  If it is intentional, the
documentation should be fixed.  I could take care of both bugs(?) I
reported, but I first want to make completely sure that they are
really bugs and not, for some strange reason, intentional.

Sincerely,

Luc.