Re: @#$! new behavior of C-b & C-f in i-search

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: @#$! new behavior of C-b & C-f in i-search
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 20:31:48 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>>  We anyway use two hands to type C-b,

> You do?  I usually type C-b with just the left hand, and I guess that
> would be the usual way for touch typists.  Or sometimes I do just with
> the right, in case I am busy with the left hand eating or something.

Touch typists don't have to type C-b.  And I think they use
Right Shift to type B (i.e. both hands).

At least with my hand (I think it's average as Japanese, but
perhaps smaller than average Western person), pressing both
Ctrl and b with the left hand is a little bit difficult.

>>  To me, their importance are almost the same, and I prefer convient
>>  keys to keys of meaningful mnemonic.  So, I'm using adjoining C-i
>>  and C-o for isearch-del-char and isearch-yank-char recently.  This
>>  is quite convenient at least for me (I have been using C-q C-i to
>>  isearch for TAB).  What do you think?

> Well, considering that the right control key on today's keyboards is
> rather small if at all existent, those are definitely less convenient
> than C-f and C-b.

I think we don't have to consider that kind of convenience
(i.e. requires two hands or not) to decide a key binding.

>>  And, i(n) and o(ut) may give some meaning to these keys.

> But I think it rather common to be searching for TAB characters in
> isearch strings, particularly in regexps.

For me, not that frequent as using isearch-del-char.  And,
as I wrote, TAB can be easily searched for by typing C-q
C-i.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden