Re: Alt key unavailable in GTK

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Alt key unavailable in GTK
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 14:15:21 +0200

    KC> It might be the GTK library is using some GTK setting.

Maybe, but Emacs/GTK is the only GTK application on my system in which I
observe the problem.  For instance Mozilla and gnome-terminal
distinguish the Meta and Alt keys.

Mozilla is not a GTK application in that sense. And how do you test this? Neither Mozilla or gnome-terminal does something with Alt or Meta by default.
Are you running Gnome?  I suspect some GTK/Gnome setting because my
Emacs can distinguish Alt and Meta, but Gnome applications can not,
they see Meta as Alt (i.e. the reverse of what you have).

What I expect: Meta_L for Meta and Alt_L for Alt.  Don't forget,
Emacs/Athena works well.

And you are running with emacs -q --no-site-file?

        Jan D.