Re: Info-index fails on node-name "~/.cvsrc"

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Info-index fails on node-name "~/.cvsrc"
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 11:08:48 +0300

address@hidden (Karl Berry) writes:
>     1. To determine if the current node is an index node, the Emacs Info
>     reader should first try to match the node name for the "\\<Index\\>"
>     regexp.  If that fails, then to search for the "address@hidden@^H]" tag
>     in the current node.
>
> In principle, I would say, if the cookie is present, it's an index node,
> and only look at the node name if the cookie is not present (for info
> files generated before 4.7).  That way, a node whose name contains
> Index but isn't an index node won't be found.

The main problem is backward compatibility.  We should ensure that
the Info reader will still find index nodes in old Info files.
To do this there should be a reliable method to distinguish them
from Info files with index cookies, because if a node don't contain
the cookie and its name contains "Index", then it's not known whether
it is a non-index node in the 4.7 format or an index node in the pre-4.7
format.

Perhaps the most reliable way is to scan the whole Info file and its
subfiles for index cookies.  If there is at least one such cookie,
then to assume that it is in the 4.7 format.  Otherwise, to use the old
heuristic by determining the index node by its name.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/