Re: cvs build error "cannot open loadfile: encoded-kb"

From: Peter Lee
Subject: Re: cvs build error "cannot open loadfile: encoded-kb"
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:16:13 -0500

    Jason> Peter Lee wrote:
    >> I'm building with latest version of mingw.  make[1]: Leaving
    >> directory `/cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/src'

    Jason> You are using Cygwin make, not mingw.

Correct.

    Jason> Cygwin make is only suitable for making Cygwin programs.

I dont think this is true.  I've used cygwin make + mingw gcc to build
emacs for a while now.  I use cygwin make to build a lot of
applications (none of which are dependent on cygwin or any other
cygwin tool).  Make parses a makefile, it doesn't create programs.
The reason I use cygwin make in this case is because mingw make chokes
parsing emacs makefiles.  They even ship it renamed to
mingw32-make.exe, so apparently even the authors consider this version
broken.

The error I'm getting is generated by a batch invocation of emacs.
"./../bin/emacs.exe" -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file --multibyte -l autoloa
d \
        --eval '(setq find-file-hooks nil \
                find-file-suppress-same-file-warnings t \
                generated-autoload-file \
                  "/cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el")' \
        -f batch-update-autoloads /cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/lisp calc calendar emacs
-lisp emulation eshell gnus international language mail mh-e net obsolete play p
rogmodes term textmodes toolbar url
Cannot open load file: encoded-kb

The function batch-update-autoloads in autoload.el is
failing... question is what's changed to cause this.

I can open emacs and do:
'M-: (update-directory-autoloads "/cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/lisp")'

and it completes successfully.  I did that for each of the specified
directories and it all worked.  The only thing I found that was a bit
suspect was the docstring for update-directory-autoloads which says
that passing multiple directories is discouraged.  So I'm not sure
what the error is, but after manually generating the autoloads I can
get on with the build.

Thanks.