Re: +face-remapping-20040505-0.patch

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: +face-remapping-20040505-0.patch
Date: 24 May 2004 12:24:42 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> > >            missing arg for signal_p here----+
> >
> > Hmm, you're right.
> >
> > I'm gonna rewrite things to use `merge_face_vector_with_property'
> > (or some variant) instead, and also change face inheritance to do the
> > same, so that that the merging order is more consistent.
>
> IMO, it would be very nice to have this added to 21.4 (despite the
> feature freeze) -- but in that case, it should be done ASAP.
>
> Likewise with the curry stuff, although it seems a less important
> feature from a user's point of view.
>
> WDYT?  Shall either or both of these features be included in 21.4?

AFAICS, the currying stuff has little potential for destabilizing
normal operation and is pretty much limited in extent.  However, there
is also little reason for putting it in if I see it correctly: there
are no user-level features to be gained from it without adding
packages on top of it.  Those first-layer packages that would likely
benefit from the currying would hardly be external to Emacs, but
released as part of Emacs.  We don't have such packages right now, and
the context in which they would get developed would be CVS Emacs,
anyway.

So unless I am misestimating I see no point in putting this in right
now, in particular if we are supposed to be focusing about getting
something to release-ready state.

Similar things apply to the face merging stuff, even though the
chances for non-core Emacs packages picking this functionality up are
somewhat larger.