Re: utf-8 cut/paste

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: utf-8 cut/paste
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 21:19:03 +0200

Hi Sam,

Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:
> what is "charset unification"?

I meant the functions unify-8859-on-decoding-mode and
unify-8859-on-encoding-mode.  I'm not quite sure if these functions
also cover the Windows codepages like cp1252.

> I thought that if I use unicode (utf-8), all characters are already
> in one set.

In general theory, all the Unicode characters are in the Unicode
(utf-8) set and all the cp1252 characters are in the cp1252 set.  As
far as Emacs is concerned the two sets describe different characters
and they have no relationship.  Unless you use some kind of
translation, which is what the above functions do AFAIK.

>> In any case you probably need to make sure that your
>> selection-coding-system has the right value.
>
> what value is right?
>
> selection-coding-system
>  ==> cp1252

Assuming you are on an English system, that's the right one.

benny