Re: [gmane.emacs.devel] Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: [gmane.emacs.devel] Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 12:50:37 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> You may say that such problems are caused by auto-revert, but I think
> that tramp should never wait indefinitely for output that obviously
> will never come.  Since tramp calls accept-process-output in a loop,
> relying on the timeout on accept-process-output alone is not enough.

Tramp can't know whether the output will come or not.  Tramp enters
the infloop only in cases where it expects output from the remote
system.

This is to say, if the output from the remote system doesn't arrive,
then something is wrong anyway, and Tramp will be unable to operate
properly.

The auto-revert problems are, of course, caused by my failure to
anticipate that Tramp might be called in a reentrant fashion.  This
surely needs to be fixed.  But just removing the infloop is not going
to help.  Instead, Tramp needs to be made aware of reentrant calls in
one fashion or another.

Kai

PS: Is "reentrant" the right term here?