Re: Emacs setup assistants

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs setup assistants
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 14:16:35 -0400

On 24 May 2004, address@hidden wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think that's reasonable.  I don't want users to *jump* to 3.3 or
>> 2 from 3.1, that's the major issue I'm raising.
>
> It's their beef.
>
> In particular, some might want to look ahead in order to figure what
> to answer for the current question.

I think this would subvert the whole idea of assistants and make them
too much of a power user's tool.  Power users don't need assistants.
I am strongly convinced of this, based on my experience designing
UIs (text and graphical).  If you or other X?Emacs developers feel
the need to provide such an interface, at least make it optional and
off by default.

Ted