Re: next-error-last-buffer

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: next-error-last-buffer
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 23:14:37 +0300

> This fix has a drawback; it will make that buffer permanently
> incapable of being used as a series of references to places.
>
> I think we should look for a way to disable this temporarily instead.
> However, I am not sure how that would work--what would be the
> condition on which to reenable this buffer's value of
> next-error-function?

If there is a real need to enable next-error-function in the existing
buffer visited by next-error (i.e. if it's not too rare case when the
user needs to kill a buffer and create a new, that may be inconvenient
if performed too often), then next-error-function could be enabled again
by setting it to the initial value by typing C-m or one of other error
visiting keys available in the next-error capable buffer.  When these
keys are bound to one of the following functions, each function could
set the initial value of next-error-function every time it called
in the next-error capable buffer:

compile-goto-error
diff-goto-source
occur-mode-goto-occurrence