Re: utf-8 cut/paste

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: utf-8 cut/paste
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 20:11:48 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: 26 May 2004 11:48:32 -0400
>
> cp1252 could have been implemented as another charset rather than being
> mapped to a mix of 8859-1 and unicode chars.

If we did that, it would make the unfortunate situation, whereby there
are multiple charsets that cover the same characters, even worse.
E.g., in addition to Unicode Cyrillic characters and
cyrillic-iso8859-5 Cyrillic characters, we would also have cp1252
Cyrillic characters.

Repeat after me: "multiple character sets covering the same characters
are BAD."