Re: [gmane.emacs.devel] Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [gmane.emacs.devel] Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 22:21:16 +0200

Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
>> You may say that such problems are caused by auto-revert, but I think
>> that tramp should never wait indefinitely for output that obviously
>> will never come.  Since tramp calls accept-process-output in a loop,
>> relying on the timeout on accept-process-output alone is not enough.
>
> Tramp can't know whether the output will come or not.  Tramp enters
> the infloop only in cases where it expects output from the remote
> system.
>
> This is to say, if the output from the remote system doesn't arrive,
> then something is wrong anyway, and Tramp will be unable to operate
> properly.

I agree with Kai.

Some days ago, Tramp got a patch checking for a dead process during
accept-process-output in order to react faster (in Tramp CVS, not
synced yet with Emacs CVS).

Despite of this and the outstanding solution for the auto-revert
problem: what else should be done? Tramp must wait for the output,
otherwise it cannot decide how to continue. And it doesn't know that
the output "obviously will never come".

Best regards, Michael.