Re: display word wrapping

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: display word wrapping
Date: 26 May 2004 21:16:27 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> We (sort of) declared feature freeze on May 1st, so if there are still
> major stuff waiting to be installed or merged, please concentrate on
> that and nothing else.
>
> Some pending projects for 21.4 are:
>
> - Face remapping
>
>   I suppose it's done, just waiting to be committed.

Sounded more or less like it, yes.

> - Gnus update
>
>   If this cannot be done real soon now, maybe we should postpone it.

I think that might be a mistake: Gnus is a major subsystem and IIRC
the "new" Gnus has had several important changes and additions.
Miles, can you think of anything others could do to help speed up the
process?  Should one perhaps just do a fast scan through the ChangeLog
since the last Gnus version was checked in, and compare with the
upstream ChangeLog in order to find whether there are any changes not
reflected upstream?  And if there aren't, just scratch thinking about
them and just overwrite everything with the current Gnus versions?

> - Tramp reentrancy rework
>
>   This is really a bug-fix, but seems to require major changes.

I am not so sure.  Most of the stuff we had up to now involved
crashes in the garbage collector, and that is supposed to be fixed by
now.

>   Maybe we don't really need to do this for 21.4, if there is a
>   simpler way to simply avoid reentrancy (e.g. disable auto-revert
>   in remote buffers).

Yup.  One must not forget that a buggy version of tramp does not
imply a regression when compared with 21.3 and no tramp, or an
equally buggy add-on tramp.  Except for those cases where ange-ftp
breaks.

> - The "curry stuff"
>
>   IIUC, this is not really needed in 21.4, so unless somebody really
>   need this now, it should wait.
>
> What else ?

Checking the manual, I guess.

In the realm of bugfixes, the scrolling and redisplay behavior might
still need work.  Again, I don't think that we have much of a
regression here as compared to previous versions, but it would be
convenient if the quality could be improved to a point where people
won't press for 22.0 merely because of bugfixes.  It would be nice if
we could with a reasonably good conscience not bother about any more
21.x bug fix branches/releases once 21.4 is out.