Re: display word wrapping

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: display word wrapping
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:08:25 +0200

On 26 May 2004 17:06:57 +0200
address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) wrote:

> Some pending projects for 21.4 are:

[...]

> What else ?

IMO the image support on Windows is still shaky. Current problems with
that (at least, these are the problems I'm experiencing):

 - There's no single, good, Windows version of the relevant libraries,
so we must try to load each library with several names, hoping for the
best (for example, we try to load libjpeg.dll, jpeg-62.dll and jpeg.dll,
in that order). That seems fragile.

 - The best-so-far libraries (that I know of) are the GnuWin32 ones, but
(relatively) recent upgrades in some of them changed some names, so if
you try to use them you end loading several, differently named, zlib
DLLs, for example.

 - On MSVC optimized builds, several libraries (most notably the TIFF
one) crash on loading an image. I've tried to debug it several times,
with no success; I'm not even sure whether is a real Emacs bug hidden
somewhere, or a bug in the MSVC optimizer. Worse, with newest GnuWin32
releases the problem affect more libraries, and some of them (libpng)
don't seem to work at all.

I'm not entirely sure what to do. Perhaps we could compile our own
graphics libs and distribute them with Emacs, though that's quite a lot
of additional work. But as I stands, I'd add a section to nt/INSTALL
saying: "Don't compile with image support unless you know what you're
doing and are willing to do some debugging."

                                                                Juanma