Re: python-mode (python.el): python-backspace

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: python-mode (python.el): python-backspace
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 15:21:51 +0100

[I'm not sure this got out before.]

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> - delete hungrily all whitespace.
> - delete to previous level of indentation.
> Both of those are conceptually mode-independent

I don't think they are.  Most modes have only a single `valid'
indentation for any line (according to their indentation rules), and
it may not be clear how to define a `level of indentation'
(e.g. Lisp).  That's not the case in Python and Haskell, for instance,
where deleting a level of indentation is well-defined and either
meaningful or syntactically invalid.

> There is already the "untabify" version of backspace and I think we should
> make it easier for people to change such things globally.

What's wrong with `backward-delete-char-untabify-method' for that?