Re: +face-remapping-20040525-2-c.patch

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: +face-remapping-20040525-2-c.patch
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 08:46:58 -0400

    +   This variable may be be used to locally change the meaning of
face-names,

This variable is used for buffer-local changes in the appearance of
a face.

    + for instance making the @code{default} face a variable-pitch face in a
    + particular buffer.  It should be

Its value should be

                                       an alist, whose elements have the form
    + @code{(@var{face} @address@hidden)};

The @dots should be outside of @var.  Only the variable name itself
should be inside @var.

    +   Alternate face definitions provided by @code{face-remapping-alist}
    + @emph{replace} the remapped faces, they aren't merged with it.

This is not quite grammatical, and isn't entirely clear.

    +   Recursive face-remapping does not result in an error.  Instead, if a
    + remapped face is used recursively, the remapping is ignored for the
    + recursive used, and the ``true'' face used instead.

I think I understand what that means, but it isn't easy to translate
into concrete terms.  Could you write it more concretely?  And give an
example?

    +   Because of the previous two properties, an easy way to @emph{add} to a
    + face's definition using @code{face-remapping-alist}, is simply to
    + recursively include the remapped face it the remapped definition (this is
    + not necessary when remapping the @code{default} face, the result will be
    + eventually merged with the true @code{default} by the display mechanism).

Could you give an example?