Re: convert-standard-filename's doc

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: convert-standard-filename's doc
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 20:21:41 +0200

> Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 16:05:36 +0200
> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
>
> Four years ago, the docstring for convert-standard-filename (in files.el)
> was changed, but the ones in w32-fns.el and dos-fns.el were not.
>
> Now, it's trivial to fix them to be identical again.

They don't need to be identical: once a port overloads the standard
definition with another one, the doc string is replaced as well.

So we could have a doc string that describes what that function does
on the specific platform where it runs.  The default doc string
should be left as it is now, IMHO.

> In other words, I'd change the docstring for the w32-fns.el version to
> read:
>
>     "Convert a standard file's name to something suitable for Windows.
>
>   Returns FILENAME after replacing invalid characters with ! and
>   converting directory separators to the Windows style (if needed).
>   It also turns Cygwin-style /cygdrive/x/ pathnames to x:/ paths."

I think that's good, but I'd also mention the conversion of slashes to
backslashes, with a reference to w32-shell-dos-semantics.