Re: Unicode support for the MS Windows clipboard

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Unicode support for the MS Windows clipboard
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 22:30:02 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Isn't that because the default is to assume a japanese environment?

My locale was set to Japanese, so it might be appropriate to prefer
JISX0212 over Big5 (I'm not sure though - how widespread is JISX0212
support even within Japan?  Windows only seems to have support for
JISX0208.1990 AFAICT).

I am not sure what it does in a European locale, but Big5 would be
more appropriate there IMHO.

> Have you tried to set current-language-environment to something
> like "Chinese-BIG5" or "Chinese-GB" ?
>
> Also how does the CF_TEXT currently work for those chinese users?

Since recently, Emacs uses Big5 (cp950) or GB (cp936) out of the
box. Previously the user could set selection-coding-system themselves
to get the right thing, but the default in all locales was latin-1,
which was only really appropriate for users from English speaking
countries (excluding Eire).