Re: display word wrapping

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: display word wrapping
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 18:52:13 +0900

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>> I am not sure what those words mean.  Do you mean word-wrapping at
>> redisplay time without use of real newline characters?
>> This causes problems, not just for C-n, but for all editing
>> facilities that have something to do with newlines.  So I think we
>> should try a different approach.
>
> It may cause (a lot of) problems when EDITING such text

_Will_ it actually cause problems when editing text?  Really the _only_
commands I can think of that would need adjusting would be C-n / C-p,
and they're not particularly hard.  Most columnar commands won't be a
problem, because users don't _expect_ them to somehow work except on
paragraph boundaries when editting word-wrapped text.

I think trying to make buffer-filled text `seamless' sounds _much_
harder than just doing it in redisplay and tweaking things like C-n.
The redisplay code can already more or less do the display operations
that are needed (andn unlike the old redisplay code, even really, really
long wrapped lines don't seem to have speed problems until you get to
absurd sizes that no real user text would ever approach).

-Miles
--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?