Re: wanted: someone to integrate frame-resizing code

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: wanted: someone to integrate frame-resizing code
Date: 28 May 2004 18:08:40 -0400

I have no time to look into that and I'd rather wait for after-21.4 to
integrate any such functionality.  In any case, I do use a setup whee this
would be useful, so here are my comments:

- if special-display-buffer-names or special-display-regexp specifies
  specific sizes, it should still be obeyed.

- resizing existing frames is risky: you want to make sure you don't undo
  what the user did manually.  So I'd refrain from doing it except for
  frames where the user specifically asked for it.  Maybe you could allow
  resizing existing frames when they get deiconified, but even that sounds
  risky.

- resizing frames showing the content of a file is probably not
  a great idea.  More generally, if the elisp code doesn't call
  shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer, it's likely that the frame's size
  shouldn't be changed either.

- don't enlarge the frame to be larger than the user's screen (which might
  be significantly smaller than what x-display-pixel-height claims).

        Stefan