Re: convert-standard-filename's doc

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: convert-standard-filename's doc
Date: 28 May 2004 12:19:31 -0400

>> So I think the "generic" text needs to be in, together with an explanation
>> of what this specific instance of convert-standard-filename does.

> I understand from this that you suggest to have in the doc string
> both the generic description and the specific one for the current
> platform.  If that's what you suggest, I think it's a good idea.

>> Basically I think that multiple definitions of the same function is
>> a bad thing.

> Agreed (another case in point is the overloading of insert-directory
> by ls-lisp).  But do we have a better alternative?  Perhaps something
> similar to find-file-name-handler?

How about something like

   (defun foo ()
     "doc"
     (if-when-compile (memq system-name '(bar baz))
         toto
       titi))

For insert-directory, the answer would be a bit different (it can't be
decided at compile-time), but the idea would be the same:

   (defun insert-directory (blabla)
     "doc"
     (if insert-directory-use-ls
         (insert-directory-using-ls blabla)