Re: utf-8 cut/paste

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: utf-8 cut/paste
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 11:04:17 +0100

Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:

>> * Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> [2004-05-26 13:22:38 +0900]:
>>
>> When I desinged Mule (it was before Unicode was accepted widely as
>> now), there was no agreement in a character A1 in a charset S1 and a
>> character A2 in a charset S2 are actually the same character.  There
>> was no authority that says the code point 0xE3 of koi8 and the code
>> point 0x96 in alt represents the same character.
>
> Do you need a special authority to say that 42 base 10, XLII / Roman,
> and 52 base 8 are the same number?  Same with alt and koi8.

I think there is some confusion here. alt (assuming you mean
alternativenyj) and koi8 characters are the same character in Emacs,
in fact they are both internally represented as their respective
Unicode characters in current CVS (in previous versions, they were
mapped to iso-8859-5, but apparently that does not cover the full set
of Cyrillic characters and is seldom used in practice).

It is latin-x characters that are separate.

> PS. please remove me from the CC field.  I _do_ read <emacs-devel>,
>     and I do _not_ need e-mail copies.  Thanks.

If you add the following header to your mail, Gnus and maybe other
mail readers will do this automatically: