Re: convert-standard-filename's doc

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: convert-standard-filename's doc
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 19:55:52 +0200

On Sat, 29 May 2004 13:13:55 +0200, Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hm.  Now I've taken a look at the different definitions.  What do you
> think about the following docstring?
>
>     Convert a standard file's name to something suitable for the current OS.
>     This means to guarantee valid names and perhaps to canonicalize certain
>     patterns.
>
>     On Windows and DOS, remove invalid characters.  On DOS, make sure to
>     obey the 8.3 format.  On Windows, turn Cygwin names into native
>     names, and also turn slashes into backslashes if the shell requires it.

I honestly don't like a function with three different implementations
having the same docstring explaining its funcionality in every posible
environment.  Yes, I agree the first bit (the first two sentences)
should be in all them.  But after that I would add just valid info.  On
most cases, when I'm going to use a funcion on a Windows Emacs, I'm
interested on what it does, not what it would do, were I to use it on
GNU/Linux (or any other present or future environment)...

BTW, shouldn't it mention that on DOS it strips trailing (back)?slashes
and converts a leading . into _? It doesn't do these things on Windows.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u