Re: Auto-revert on remote files: disabling timers temporarily?

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Auto-revert on remote files: disabling timers temporarily?
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 17:12:12 -0500 (CDT)

Michael Albinus wrote:

   Very likely the data in the Tramp buffer has been changed between
   base64 encoding/decoding. It would be important to see the related
   Tramp buffers.

I have trouble reproducing the error again.  Now I keep getting hangs
out of which I can not quit.  Nothing changed, except maybe the
quality of my connection and even that did not change noticeably.

I did save the only part of the Tramp debug buffer which I believed
could be relevant.  It does not seem very informative.  The Tramp
process buffer always seems to contain only the latest line.

tramp_exit_status 0
# Decoding remote file
/ssh:raven.dms.auburn.edu:/home/teirllm/strings.texi...
# Decoding remote file
/ssh:raven.dms.auburn.edu:/home/teirllm/strings.texi with function
base64-decode-region...

This is where the error occurred.  Now we start auto-reverting again.
So it would not seem useful to go through much effort trying to
reproduce the error again, since the Debug buffer seems to give no
useful info.

$ test -r /home/teirllm/sequences.texi 2>/dev/null; echo
tramp_exit_status $?
tramp_exit_status 0
$ test -e /home/teirllm/sequences.texi 2>/dev/null; echo
tramp_exit_status $?
tramp_exit_status 0
$ tramp_file_attributes /home/teirllm/sequences.texi nil
(nil 1 125 103 (16571 39836) (16547 43368) (16547 43368) 23830 33152 t
(38 . 25873) -1)