Re: improving query-replace and query-replace-regexp

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: improving query-replace and query-replace-regexp
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 03:56:36 +0300

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> I tried Stefan's implementation and it works fine.  I have only one remark:
>> if the last history item contains newlines, it may confuse users because
>> it displays only the closing square bracket at the minibuffer prompt.
>
> Good point.  How about the version below instead?

This version works fine, it displays all control characters explicitly.
I suggest to use the same technique in all other places where
search strings are displayed literally, i.e. in messages like

"Query replacing %s with %s".

And for consistency with the above message the default prompt
could use the word "with" instead of the "->" arrow:

"Query replace [%s with %s]: "

or as Miles suggested:

"Query replace (default %s with %s): "

And your compact default prompt grew so much :-/

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/